From Pastor Davies – 5/23
Last Sunday we welcomed nine new members into the Memorial church family. In every new member class that I teach, I tell them about five membership responsibilities. But I believe that it is important that every member of the church be reminded of these obligations. So, here they are and I hope and pray that every member of MPC will make a concerted effort to fulfill each of them.
- Be regular in your attendance at worship. The most important thing we do in the church is to worship God. Make it your regular habit to be in worship every Sunday.
- Set aside time each day for personal meditation, prayer, and Bible study. It is not enough to worship God for one hour on Sunday. It is necessary to spend time with God every day in order to stay spiritually strong.
- Exercise what I call the ministry of invitation. That is, invite others to attend worship at MPC. Studies have shown that 70-80% of people join a church through the invitation of a friend. The important task of growing the church is not the sole job of the pastor or the Evangelism Committee. It is everyone’s responsibility.
- Do some work in the church. You have been given specific gifts for ministry. Utilize them and serve your church. Your membership will mean much more if you give regularly of your time and talent.
- Support the church financially. Give a percentage of your income to support the church’s mission and ministry. “God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7).
Have a blessed week and I look forward to being with you in worship this Sunday.